Curry Miso Soup: Makes 3 Servings
1 tsp oil
1 tbsp red miso
1/4 cup chashu marinade (see bonus recipe)
6 cups chicken stock
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups total of whatever veggies you like, chopped – we used carrots, onions, mushroom, and kale this time to clean our fridge for grocery day!
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 small piece kombu
Optional For Serving: seaweed snacks, soft boiled eggs, seaweed snacks, sesame seeds
- Dice your vegetables and garlic, then add them to a soup pot with your oil, and place over a medium heat.
- Cook your vegetables for a few minutes, or until they just begin to soften. Add in your chicken stock and reduce the heat to as low as possible.
- Add in your kombu.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your miso, garam masala, curry powder, and chashu marinade, until smooth. Add this mixture to the pan.
- Allow your soup to lightly simmer for 15-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, add in your sesame oil, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- If desired, serve over hot rice with some seaweed snacks and an egg!
1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (you can use all reduced sodium soy sauce, just omit the dark soy sauce)
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
1/3 cup mirin
1/3 cup dry sherry or sake
1 cup water or vegetable stock
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 green onions, minced
1/3 cup sugar
Mix all ingredients together and store for use as a seasoning sauce or use to marinate and braise some pork belly!