Barley risotto is one of my favorite comfort foods, and today I made it with carrots and green onions rather than the usual apple and mushroom. I unfortunately don’t have a super set recipe for this one since I eyeball everything in the pan and cook to taste. Try it out for yourself and enjoy!
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tbsp roasted garlic paste
- 1-2 tbsp white wine or lemon juice
- 1/2 – 1 quart stock or broth (I had some chicken stock I made earlier this week)
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- seasonings to taste (my stock is concentrated and flavorful, so I only ended up adding a pinch of salt and pepper)
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add in your veggies and your butter, and saute until soft.
- Add in your barley, and cook until the butter is absorbed and the grains are toasted.
- Deglaze with white wine or lemon juice, and stir in garlic paste.
- Lower the heat to medium low, add in half a cup of stock, cooking it and stirring occasionally until completely absorbed.
- Repeat step 4 until your barley is cooked through and your veggies are tender.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- If desired, stir in another tablespoon of butter and some grated cheese to your finished barley for some extra saltiness and creaminess.
Enjoy! I like mine best with some roasted chicken.