Spiced Applesauce Cake: Makes 22 Cupcakes or a single 9×13 rectangle cake
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter (or butter substitute)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together your flour, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate medium/large bowl, cream together your butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add in your eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between additions.
- Add in your vanilla.
- Add in your applesauce, mixing thoroughly.
- Gently stir in your flour mixture, until just combined.
- Pour your batter into a greased cake pan, and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. OR Pour 1/4 cup of batter into each up of a greased cupcake tin, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remember to rotate your pan halfway through the cooking time to promote even baking.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing your cupcakes from the tin, or 15-20 minutes for the cake.
- Enjoy as is, with frosting, or shmeared with some greek yogurt!
Note: The applesauce cake picture has blueberries in it only because I had some on hand and needed to use them up, if you’d like to add them, I used 1 cup of blueberries and stirred them in after the batter was mixed. They are not usually a part of this recipe.